Harmony offered a $1 million reward for the return of the stolen $100 million

The Harmony protocol team has offered a $1 million reward for the return of $100 million worth of crypto assets stolen from the Horizon cross-chain bridge or information that will lead to hackers.

“Harmony will advocate for the absence of criminal charges when the funds are returned,” the developers said.

Users in the comments drew attention to the small amount of remuneration — 1% of the value of the stolen funds. A crypto trader popular on Twitter under the pseudonym Degen Spartan called the offer an “insulting amount.”

“I think these guys are just doing a performance to mitigate the legal responsibility:

“Hey, look, don’t blame us, at least we tried.” It looks like they don’t even want to return the money with such a clownish offer,” he added.

The CEO of Useless, David Wili, suggested that hackers might prefer “a million clean money.” However, in his opinion, the Harmony proposal is a “starting point” in the negotiations, and he sees the settlement amount in the range of $3-$6 million.

One of the commentators recalled that the industry standard for such refund conditions is 10% of the amount.

In May, an unknown person withdrew approximately $80 million worth of assets from the Rari Capital protocol. The team offered $10 million for a refund.

In April, the DeFi protocol of Beanstalk Farms lost $181 million as a result of hacking. The hacker’s prey were assets worth about $ 76 million. The developers agreed that he should return 90% of the funds, leaving 10% as a legal reward.

Harmony CEO Steven Tse clarified in the thread that the compromise of the private keys to the multisig wallet led to the hacking, and not the presence of any Horizon vulnerability.

“The team found evidence that private keys were compromised, which led to the Horizon hack. The funds were stolen from the Ethereum bridge,” he said.

Recall, according to Immunefi estimates, in the first quarter of 2022 alone, crypto projects lost more than $1.22 billion as a result of the actions of hackers and scammers.